Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Experiences In Radio

I just got back from a weekend trip to Vegas, so as you can imagine I feel awesome (insert sarcasm). Lost some money but well worth it. A lot of fun and can't wait to go back.

I don't really have anything planned for this week so I thought I would share my experiences while working at radio stations.

I have worked at 2 stations (both of which are sports stations) Sports 620 KTAR out of Phoenix and 1490 The Fan in Tucson.

Both of my experiences were fantastic and I could not have worked with nicer people.

I have interned at Sports 620 for the past 3 summers. The first summer there I worked on the Diamondbacks post game show and the 620 Sportsline hosted by Dave Burns. Here I learned to use a lot of the audio editing programs that are used and became pretty good at it. I also worked very closely with the show's producer Eric Sorenson. I had a lot of fun watching baseball games and hanging out with people who were interested in the same things that I was. I had so much fun that I decided to do it again.

The following summer I again worked at KTAR. There was a big difference though as the radio station was no longer one station but had split into two stations (a news station and a sports statio) I worked a lot of 12 hour days that summer (waking up at 5:30 am, working 6am-12:30pm, working at the radio station from 1-6, then doing it all over again the next day). I worked closely with E and worked on the show that inspired me to get into radio, Gambo and Ash. These guys are the longest tenured radio show in Phoenix and are really nice and went out of their way to make me feel welcome and part of the show.

Last spring (2008) I interned for 1490 The Fan in Tucson. I worked very closely (literally) with the show host Jody Oehler. This was a different experience for me because the studio size was different from KTAR's. KFFN's studio was the size of a walk-in closet, so imagine fitting 3 people in there (and once a week 4 people) in the space. Just because the studio was small did not mean that it wasn't a good work environment. I had a lot of fun and Jody is an awesome guy. He is funny and gave me a lot of advice that I will use when I get into the business.

This past summer I again pulled off the 12 hour days and worked for G&A again. I worked with the same people and started to pick their brain and get a feel for the business. Working closely with more of the people at the station and gaining more responsibility on the show and even getting the title of assoicate producer.

Well I'm exhausted from Vegas and will probably fall asleep on the couch tonight.

Until next time, Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment